7.09.2005

The Wok: Life after Fame


The Quieted Voice of Genius
-------------------------------------
He once graced the stage in some of the biggest theaters and stadium in the world. His image was known in the farthest reaches of the third world, yet today he lives a quiet life far from the limelight.

Roy M. Wokosin, known during his rock and roll heyday simply as 'The Wok' was the leader of Situation Tranquil, the loudest band in the land. His unique vocal phrasings and haunting lyrics were the voice of a generation. Now surrounded by his wife Gloria and two sons, Cedric and Cleon, Roy (as he prefers to be called) misses none of the trappings of fame. "That was a time and a place. I am no longer that person."

That person helped form Situation Tranquil in late 1981. They started as a simple four piece band playing cover tunes from the likes of Opus, and Fischer Z, but it wouldn't be long until he and his mates began to pen some of the greatest songs of the 20th century.

"I enjoyed my time making music, but I always knew deep in my heart that I wanted to farm." Says a contented Wokosin. There on his 77 acres parcel of semi-arid land 90 miles east of Missoula, Montana, Wokosin prefers to look ahead rather than back. "I haven't listened to an ST record in years. I have no desire to go back."

Asked if he keeps in touch with any of the current ST crew, Wokosin paused. The corners of his mouth began to curl into a soft smile, "Fuck NO!"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home